HEADS UP: New gconf key policy

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Wed Jun 23 22:13:22 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 01:10, John Merryweather Cooper wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 12:55:39AM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> > > See attached patch to make comms/gfax into 0.6.0 (the gtk#) version.
> > >
> > > Everything compiles and installs fine, but attempting to start gfax
> > > gives errors about not being able to find two key values.  I'd be
> > > more specific, but I'm rebuilding GNOME right now and so my X is
> > > unavailable to me.
> >
> > Well, this looks like a problem.  From the gfax root Makefile:
> >
> > env GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE="" gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule $(SCHEMA)
> >
> > This should probably be:
> >
> > GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=`gconftool-2 --get-default-source` gconftool-2
> > --makefile-install-rule $(SCHEMA)
> >
> > And of course, don't forget to install the schema file so you can remove
> > the keys upon deinstall (something this application doesn't seem to do).
> >
> > Joe
> >

> > > jmc
> > --
> > PGP Key : http://www.marcuscom.com/pgp.asc
>
> I'll make those changes.  Interestingly, the line there was taken straight
> from the original Makefile.  Is this a case of having a relocatable PREFIX
> and the author of gfax assuming a given location (e.g., some default
> locatin that results when GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE is set to ""?

Actually, I've never seen GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE set to "".  I'm not sure
what it does exactly, but my thought is, it's a no-op.  The example I
gave you is not PREFIX-safe, but it is gconf-safe.  The PREFIX-safe
solution would be to set GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE to
xml::$(PREFIX)/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults.

Joe