firefox - *** loading the extensions datasource

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at
Sat Jun 19 14:59:03 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 17:24, Sean McNeil wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 14:17, Georg-W. Koltermann wrote:
> > Am Fr, den 18.06.2004 schrieb Sean McNeil um 9:59:
> > > OK,
> > > 
> > > So I have firefox working as root and it doesn't print anything when I
> > > run it.
> > > 
> > > As my regular user, it print the
> > > 
> > > *** loading the extensions datasource
> > > 
> > > and then core dumps.  I think I have some old cruft somewhere, but I
> > 
> > Nobody reads release notes nowadays, I guess.  From the page at
> > in section "
> > Known Issues":
> > 
> >       * If Firefox 0.9 is placed in a location with limited access
> >         privileges, it should be run by a user with access to that
> >         location first, so that all initial startup files are generated.
> >         There may be issues still where if a restricted-access user is
> >         the first to run the app, these files may not be generated
> >         properly and Firefox may enter an infinite restart loop. This
> >         will be fixed in a future release.
> > 
> > Running firefox as root once did the trick for me.
> Nobody reads the full thread before they comment these days, I guess :)
> I did exactly that and it did NOT work for me.  I had to do some extra
> things with deleting some directories before it worked.  Now, it only
> "sort of" works as I have a good deal of additional problems.
> The first issue I had was that cc is broken for amd64 and thunks.  I
> found a fix for that.  Secondly, I got the same core dump whether I ran
> with root or not.  Third, once I got root to work my user account did
> NOT work and I got this message whereas I didn't get it running as root.
> Cheers,
> Sean

Yes, I'm having this same issue too.  The need to run firefox first as
root should not be necessary with 0.9_2.  This problem started occurring
for me with 0.9_1 while 0.9 was fine.  I cvsuped and started the build
of the latest version last night after completely deinstalling firefox
and removing ~/.mozilla/firefox.  This morning I ran it first as root
for good measure and saw some errors in the terminal but it did start. 
It cored though when I ran it as a my regular user.  I've just cvsuped
again and I see two new patch files for firefox.  I'm going to start
building the latest port shortly to see what happens.


More information about the freebsd-gnome mailing list