Need feedback/review, a big change in AbiWord2 port.

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Tue Jun 8 19:08:53 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 14:47, Jeremy Messenger wrote:

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have maken a big changes in AbiWord2 port, what I have done:
> >>
> >> 	- Force AbiWord to check/compile everything what apps that are
> >> 	  installed (headers, libraries, etc) from ports rather than check
> >> 	  and
> >> 	  use the stuff that are included in tarball such as wv, zlib,
> >> 	  libpng,
> >> 	  popt and etc.
> >
> > How much compile time does this save? Just curious.
>
> I don't know, never pay attention after over 20 times built AbiWord.
> Depends on and use the ports tree is the right solution, IMO. :-)

The other thing to consider is bug fixes.  We have seen some issues with
ports like png in the past where security concerns arise.  If we track
external dependencies, we are in better shape with regard to fixes.

> >> 	- Change the default spell from Enchant to Aspell, because it doesn't
> >> 	  work at all unless you compile Enchant with the Aspell support. I
> >> 	  think, it's waste to depend on Enchant by default.
> >>
> >> 	  Also, I have removed the check of Enchant. I prefer to see force
> >> 	  user to want use Enchant if they know what to do with it. I need
> >> 	  the
> >> 	  help on write the better comment in @${ECHO_CMD} about this.
> >
> > I disagree strongly with this. I think that Enchant is a great idea.
> > Enchant isn't being utilized properly ATM, but it has the propensity to
> > be a great leap forward in i18n spell-checking.
>
> What's your best suggest then? Force Enchant to compile with Aspell
> support? This is the way that I will allow Enchant to be default. It
> doesn't make any sense to have something that will not work by default. I
> think, it's important to have the default that is just work.

If we want enchant support by default, we need to either make enchant
build with aspell support, or create a slave port which AbiWord will
depend upon.

> >> 	- Add the new WITH_HTML_HELP_BROWSER knob to allow us install the
> >> 	Help
> >> 	  docs. This cover the ports/66623, but I personal still would like
> >> 	  see use the DOCSDIR path.
> >>
> >> 	  The vote is still open for if you dislike put Help docs in Makefile
> >> 	  and rather to create a seperate port, just give a shout.
> >>
> >> 	  Vote:
> >> 	  ===================================
> >> 	  mezz   = Makefile
> >> 	  marcus = seperate port, unless Makefile doesn't turn into mess.
> >
> > How much space does the installed documentation take up?
>
> I think, we shouldn't pay attention to the space as long we have the knob
> option to disable the Help docs install. It won't make any difference for
> Makefile w/ knob option vs seperate port. However, the size is about 877
> KB (of tacos ;-).

Arguably, help docs are important.  I don't think too many users will
scoff at a little extra footprint if they can figure out how to use the
application (IMHO).

Joe