MonoDevelop needs Mono 1.0 for successful build but can't build Mono 1.0 under FreeBSD - help?...

John Merryweather Cooper john_m_cooper at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 25 20:03:57 PDT 2004

On Sunday 25 July 2004 07:05 pm, Erik Dasque wrote:
> sorry, that was a silly response from me. I guess coop9211 will be able
> to help you best. We do not package for FreeBSD.
>
> Erik
>
> On Jul 25, 2004, at 9:45 PM, Dominic Caffey wrote:
> > Dear Mono-Team,
> >
> >      I'm trying to build version 1.0 of Mono on
> > "FreeBSD x.y.org 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD
> > 5.2.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Feb 23 20:45:55 GMT 2004
> >
> > root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> >  i386" using the FreeBSD port located at
> > http://cvsweb.freebsd.org/ports/lang/mono/mono.tar.gz?tarball=1
> >
> > I get the following when I run "make":
> >
> > casmor# make
> > ===>  mono-1.0 Does not work on 5.X before
> > 502113.
> > casmor# pwd
> > /usr/ports/lang/mono
> >
> > I'd like to build Mono 1.0 so that I can build
> > MonoDevelop located at http://www.monodevelop.com
> > because MonoDevelop requires ver 1.0 of Mono to
> > run per running "./configure --prefix=/usr" per
> > the MonoDevelop installation instructions located
> > at
> > http://www.monodevelop.com/tutorials/package_install.aspx
> >
> > When I run "./configure --prefix=/usr" everything
> > runs fine until I get the following message:
> >
> > checking for mono >= 1.0
> > gnome-vfs-2.0 >= 2.0
> > ... Requested 'mono >= 1.0' but version of Mono
> > is 0.28
> >
> > configure: error: Library requirements (mono >=
> > 1.0
> > gnome-vfs-2.0 >= 2.0
> >
> > Can you folks tell me what release of FreeBSD
> > your're doing your FreeBSD testing on?  Also is a
> > MonoDevelop port available for FreeBSD that
> > you're aware of?
> >
> > Any help/guidance would be appreciated and I'd
> > really like to rub this in the faces of all the
> > Microsoft poster-children at work once I get it
> > working.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dom
> >

> > =====
> > +------------------------------
> >
> > | Dominic Caffey
> > | Email:  dcaffey_fl at yahoo.com

I am the FreeBSD maintainer for Mono-1.0 and Gtk-Sharp-1.0.  You're getting
that error message in the build because the version of FreeBSD 5.x you are
running has bugs in it's thread support that make it impossible to build a
working Mono.  I would strong urge you to upgrade to atleast FreeBSD
5.2.1-RELASE as that is the earliest version of -CURRENT I can reasonably
support.

I test Mono and Gtk-Sharp on the latest working builds of -CURRENT frequently!

jmc