ports/69093: [patch] devel/pkgconfig does not search for .pc files in libdir/pkgconfig

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Thu Jul 15 09:39:00 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:30:22 GMT, Adam Weinberger <adamw at FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR ports/69093; it has been noted by
> GNATS.
>
> From: Adam Weinberger <adamw at FreeBSD.org>
> To: Konstantin Oznobihin <bork at rsu.ru>
> Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: ports/69093: [patch] devel/pkgconfig does not search for
> .pc files in libdir/pkgconfig
> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:20:49 -0400
>
>  >> (07.15.2004 @ 1051 PST): Konstantin Oznobihin said, in 1.2K: <<
>  > As I understand, $(prefix)/lib is the original path for pkgconfig, so
>  > they already install .pc files in the proper location. Besides I think
>  > it is better (and much more easier) to make changes in one place
> instead
>  > of searching and changing all ports that install .pc in lib/pkgconfig.
>  >> end of "Re: ports/69093: [patch] devel/pkgconfig does not search for
> .pc files in libdir/pkgconfig" from Konstantin Oznobihin <<
> I disagree. /usr/lib is the default place according to Linux dogma.
>  FreeBSD makes a concerted effort to place things in the best location
>  possible, and I fully agree that ${PREFIX}/libdata is the best place for
>  pkgconfig files. ${PREFIX}/lib is for libraries; ${PREFIX}/libdata is
>  then for data about those libraries.
> gdm2, for example, installs its configgeration files into
>  /usr/X11R6/etc. It was trained to look for its configuration files
>  there, instead of patching the install to copy stuff into /usr/X11R6/etc
>  as well as /etc.
>
> It certainly is easier to train pkgconfig to look in its default place.
>  However, the "gnomehack" component of USED_GNOME tells configure scripts
>  where to find pkgconfig files. USE_GNOME=gnomehack should be used in
>  ports that install pkgconfig files into the location that is wrong for
>  FreeBSD.

I have been thinking about gnomehack stuff. I do really think we need to
split some stuff that aren't GNOME like create gtkhack or something better
word, because not all GTK apps are GNOME. I hate when I can't use
gnomehack, because my gtk port aren't GNOME and don't want to install it
under share/gnome.

> That's my take on the matter, anyway.
>
> # Adam

FreeBSD GNOME Team