ports/69093: [patch] devel/pkgconfig does not search for .pc files in libdir/pkgconfig

Adam Weinberger adamw at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 15 08:30:23 PDT 2004

The following reply was made to PR ports/69093; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Adam Weinberger <adamw at FreeBSD.org>
To: Konstantin Oznobihin <bork at rsu.ru>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: ports/69093: [patch] devel/pkgconfig does not search for .pc files in libdir/pkgconfig
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:20:49 -0400

 >> (07.15.2004 @ 1051 PST): Konstantin Oznobihin said, in 1.2K: <<
 > As I understand, $(prefix)/lib is the original path for pkgconfig, so
 > they already install .pc files in the proper location. Besides I think
 > it is better (and much more easier) to make changes in one place instead
 > of searching and changing all ports that install .pc in lib/pkgconfig.
 >> end of "Re: ports/69093: [patch] devel/pkgconfig does not search for .pc files in libdir/pkgconfig" from Konstantin Oznobihin <<

 I disagree. /usr/lib is the default place according to Linux dogma.
 FreeBSD makes a concerted effort to place things in the best location
 possible, and I fully agree that ${PREFIX}/libdata is the best place for
 pkgconfig files. ${PREFIX}/lib is for libraries; ${PREFIX}/libdata is
 then for data about those libraries.

 gdm2, for example, installs its configgeration files into
 /usr/X11R6/etc. It was trained to look for its configuration files
 there, instead of patching the install to copy stuff into /usr/X11R6/etc
 as well as /etc.

 It certainly is easier to train pkgconfig to look in its default place.
 However, the "gnomehack" component of USED_GNOME tells configure scripts
 where to find pkgconfig files. USE_GNOME=gnomehack should be used in
 ports that install pkgconfig files into the location that is wrong for
 FreeBSD.

 That's my take on the matter, anyway.

 # Adam

 --