converters/libiconv change request for net/samba3

Alexander Nedotsukov bland at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 6 00:42:40 PDT 2004

NAKAJI Hiroyuki wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Newer net/samba3 has I18N switch to use multibyte characters, like
>Japanese, for filename, share or machine names. And it depends on libiconv
>(converters/libiconv) to handle many languages.
>
>However, libiconv-1.9.1 does not have enough feature to handle some
>Japanese codesets, for example, eucJP-ms. Because of it there is a patch
>to improve the feature, and the patch is imported into glibc but not
>imported to libiconv yet.
>
>So, the i18n feature of samba3 is not fully available and it is
>inconvenient for, at least, Japanese persons.
>
>I made a patch of converters/libiconv to use Japanese filename with
>net/samba3. Would you commit it, please?
>
>Thanks.

A few questions before. Why do we need to buid depend on gpref while I
can see you already patched gpref produced files? I also can see you
silently changed cp932, jisx201, jisx0213 etc encodings. How legimage
those changes are? I pretty sure that changing unicode yen sign
representation from 00A5 to 005C is not. Same story about overline
symbol. Could you carefuly comment all other changes you did, please?

All the beset,
Alexander.