Install GNOME 2.6 from packages

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Thu Apr 22 16:01:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 09:42, Michel Onoff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the instructions on http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html indicate
> that it should be possible to install GNOME 2.6 by simply issuing:
>
> # pkg_add -r gnome2
>
> This doesn't work, on FreeBSD 5.2.1 at least, for a couple of reasons:
> * the "Latest" directories on the distribution sites still reference the
> older GNOME 2.4.0 release
> * pkg_add -r doesn't seem to recognize the .tgz extension and involkes
> bzip2 instead of gzip. Note that without the -r flag it correctly
> handles .tgz packages.
>
> Even the sysinstall, when configured to retrieve from an ftp medium,
> still gets the older GNOME 2.4.0 release.
>
> Of course, I could install the packages by downloading them via ftp and
> invoking pkg_add on a local copy. However, in the interest of a more
> general user community, it would be better to:
> * update the "Latest" directories on the ftp distribution sites
> * correct the behavior of pkg_add -r to correctly handle remote .tgz
> packages
>
> As an alternative:
> * correct the above web page with a workaround for a smooth installation

Unless you are running -CURRENT or -STABLE, you will never get GNOME 2.6
packages from ftp.freebsd.org.  You will need to use the GNOME Tinderbox
at http://www.marcuscom.com/tinderbox/ (listed in the upgrade FAQ).  You
will then need adjust PACAKGESITE to point to the 5.2.1 Latest
directory.  Then, you will need to install sysutils/pkg_install, and use
/usr/local/sbin/pkg_add -r gnome2.

Joe