GDM problems, ipv6?

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Apr 11 03:19:26 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 15:50, Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm having problems getting gdm to work after upgrading to FreeBSD 5.2.1 and
> GNOME 2.6. I want to run gdm XDMCP and connect from other machines. This has
> been working well for me with GNOME 2.2 and 2.4.
>
> I've copied over the factory-gdm.conf and enabled xdmcp there.
>
> Starting gdm with debugging on, I can see in /var/log/messages that it is
> indeed listening for XDMCP connections:
>
>   gdm[1010]: XDMCP: Start up on host reverence.in.copyleft.no, port 177
>   gdm[1010]: Accepting XDMCP connections...
>
> However, when I try to connect from other machines, nothing appears in the log.
> Regular xdm works, so there's nothing wrong with the other machines.
>
> Snooping around some more, I found that "netstat -a -p udp" gives me:
>
>   udp6	0	0	*.xdmcp		*.*
>
> Whereas on a similar server, running kdm, I get:
>
>   udp4	0	0	*.xdmcp		*.*
>
> Running tcpdump, I find that the other machines are trying to connect to the
> gdm server at port 177, but getting no response. The kdm based server responds
> correctly.
>
> To me, it appears gdm only listens for ipv6 connections. I don't know how to go
> about turning this off.
>
> Do you guys have any suggestions?

It looks like the new IPv6 code in 2.6.0 overrides the IPv4 code.
Instead of being either/or, it's one or the other with IPv6 being
preferred if supported.  Therefore, if you have IPv6 in your kernel,
IPv6 support will be chosen, and only IPv6 support will be used.

I changed the port to add a knob for enabling IPv6 support, and set IPv4
to be the default.  If you upgrade to 2.6.0.0_2, you should be okay.

Joe