GDM problems, ipv6?

Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen daniel at copyleft.no
Sat Apr 10 19:50:00 GMT 2004

Hi.

I'm having problems getting gdm to work after upgrading to FreeBSD 5.2.1 and
GNOME 2.6. I want to run gdm XDMCP and connect from other machines. This has
been working well for me with GNOME 2.2 and 2.4.

I've copied over the factory-gdm.conf and enabled xdmcp there.

Starting gdm with debugging on, I can see in /var/log/messages that it is
indeed listening for XDMCP connections:

  gdm[1010]: XDMCP: Start up on host reverence.in.copyleft.no, port 177
  gdm[1010]: Accepting XDMCP connections...

However, when I try to connect from other machines, nothing appears in the log.
Regular xdm works, so there's nothing wrong with the other machines.

Snooping around some more, I found that "netstat -a -p udp" gives me:

  udp6	0	0	*.xdmcp		*.*

Whereas on a similar server, running kdm, I get:

  udp4	0	0	*.xdmcp		*.*

Running tcpdump, I find that the other machines are trying to connect to the
gdm server at port 177, but getting no response. The kdm based server responds
correctly.

To me, it appears gdm only listens for ipv6 connections. I don't know how to go
about turning this off.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

I haven't joined this list, so please cc replies to me.

Thanks!

--
Daniel Mikkelsen
Copyleft Software AS