gnome_upgrade.sh - noclean mode?

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri Apr 9 20:19:16 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 16:17, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com>
> > Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 15:44:26 -0400
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
> >
> > On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 15:39, Aniruddha Bohra wrote:
> > > Hello
> > > 	I tried installing Gnome-2.6 and it failed
> > > due to gstreamer (I found the solution on this list),
> > > but I do not want to go through the whole build process again.
> > >=20
> > > 	Is there a way that I can upgrade without having
> > > to build everything again. BTW, I can start gnome and it
> > > is the new version.
> >
> > Edit the script, and remove the -f from the main upgrade step.
>
> Is this really safe? Won't it possibly result in some ports not being
> re-installed? I grepped through the log and added excludes (-x) for the
> ports that had already been installed, but just removing the -f would
> certainly be easier.

Since I bumped PORTREVISION on all ports that depended on glib20, you
should be okay.  Plus, portupgrade runs in a greedy way such that it
will update the most possible ports before dying due to failure.
Removing the -f should be safe.  The important thing is making sure the
final reinstall stage works correctly.  If not, you'll be missing
certain ports, and things like the keyboard may not work right anymore.