Installing gnmoe 2.6 fails in building gnome-mime-data 2.4.1

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Thu Apr 8 10:09:39 GMT 2004

Hi,

Simon Barner wrote:
> Erich Dollansky wrote:
>
>>>It looks like your gettext installation is broken. Since your ports tree
>>>is up-to-date, your gettext version should be 0.13.1_1.
>>>

>>gettext is not even installed.
>>
>>I have had to install the machine from scratch after a very weird
>>problem with a CD.
>>
>>I assume that installing gettext should fix the problem but it
>>also shows that the port has a problem not recognising a missing
>>gettext.
>

> Hmm, misc/gnomeminedata uses the following Gnome packages:
>
> USE_GNOME=      gnomehack gnomehier gnomeprefix gnometarget pkgconfig
>
> devel/pkgconfig, for example, has a
>
> USE_GMAKE=YES,
>
> and devel/gmake depends on devel/gettext:
>
> USE_GETTEXT=YES
>
> I deleted gettext from my system, and ran ``make depend'' in
> misc/gnomemimedata, and to my surprise, nothing happened, but as soon as
> I ran ``make build'', the ports system detected the missing gettext
> dependency and began re-installing it.

Don't the scripts call 'make depend' when they want to make sure that
the libraries are all build?

> I am a bit puzzled why this didn't happen in your case, but installing
> gettext manually surely won't harm ;-)

I think it happend the same way in my case.

It is a rather rare case that someone installs this packes from source
on a real empty machine.

The rest of the installation was smooth. I just got the fifth toe compiled.

Thanks for your help.

Erich