Installing gnmoe 2.6 fails in building gnome-mime-data 2.4.1

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Wed Apr 7 23:44:45 GMT 2004

Erich Dollansky wrote:
> >It looks like your gettext installation is broken. Since your ports tree
> >is up-to-date, your gettext version should be 0.13.1_1.
> >
> gettext is not even installed.
>
> I have had to install the machine from scratch after a very weird
> problem with a CD.
>
> I assume that installing gettext should fix the problem but it
> also shows that the port has a problem not recognising a missing
> gettext.

Hmm, misc/gnomeminedata uses the following Gnome packages:

USE_GNOME=      gnomehack gnomehier gnomeprefix gnometarget pkgconfig

devel/pkgconfig, for example, has a

USE_GMAKE=YES,

and devel/gmake depends on devel/gettext:

USE_GETTEXT=YES

I deleted gettext from my system, and ran ``make depend'' in
misc/gnomemimedata, and to my surprise, nothing happened, but as soon as
I ran ``make build'', the ports system detected the missing gettext
dependency and began re-installing it.

I am a bit puzzled why this didn't happen in your case, but installing
gettext manually surely won't harm ;-)

Simon