In upgrading Gnome-1.4 to Gnome-2.2, what about already installed Gnome apps?

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Wed Apr 23 14:46:09 PDT 2003

Hello Joe,

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 22:38, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 17:36, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> > Hello Joe,

<snipped>

> > > Yep, it's more or less that simple.  You should also read the GNOME 2
> > > release notes for any other gotchas.
> >
> > Okay, I've just upgraded to Gnome-2.2 on this machine.
> >
> > One thing I've noticed is that the sound events ususally associated with
> > Evolution isn't there anymore. Specifically, when I have marked messages
> > as deleted, and have done:
> > Actions > Empty Trash
>
> You won't get anymore Evo sounds until you upgrade to Evo 1.4.  This is
> expected.

Okay.., I missed that info at FreeBSD-Gnome, I imagine.

> > There is no sounds to be heard. Nothing major, but I'm wondering if this
> > is normal, or symptomatic of a problem here.
>
> You need to enable sound in GNOME 2 by going to Applications->Desktop
> Preferences->Sound, and turning on "Enable sound server startup" and
> "Sounds for events".

Yes, I've done this already..,

I'm weary to think about it here.., but I think that the delayed login
is back again (took almost 1.5 mins just now) on this box.., I'm hoping
that its a matter of Gnome-2.2 sort of "warming up" or something?

Regards,

Stacey

--
Stacey Roberts