Error installing port

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sat Apr 19 12:08:32 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 14:52, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Joe -
>
> > On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 11:25, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > > I'm running FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE.  I was trying to install GTK+ 2.2.
> > > Apparently something went wrong in the dependency for glib-2.2.1:
> > >=20
> > > checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
> > > configure: error: *** pkg-config too old; version 0.14 or better required=
> > .
> > > =3D=3D=3D>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
> > >       Please report the problem to gnome at FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and att=
> > ach
> > >       the "/usr/ports/devel/glib20/work/glib-2.2.1/config.log" including =
> > the
> > >       output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a goo=
> > >       idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your syste=
> > >       (e.g. an `ls /var/db/pkg`).
> > >=20
> > > Apparently a dependency on the right pkg-config version is missing.
> > > Unfortunately, it's not clear to me how to get a newer pkg-config...
> >
> > Make sure you've cvsup'd the latest ports tree, and you will have
> > pkgconfig-0.15.0.  You really should be using sysutils/portupgrade to
> > keep ports up-to-date.  If you always run portupgrade -ra before
> > installing any new ports, you will never encounter problems such as
> > this.
>
> I run cvsup regularly, but not every day.  Trying it now I get:
>
> 	Rejected by server: Access limit exceeded; try again later
>
> I don't have the "portupgrade" command.

It's a port in sysutils.

> There are so many ways in which it can fail... :-(
>
> Anyway, I noticed there actually is a dependency on pkg-config to check
> that it exists, but it doesn't check its version.

A current failing of the ports system.  That's why we have portupgrade.

>  I installed a new
> pkg-config manually and building the port continued.  I finally ran into
> a problem that can't be fixed, I suppose: Xft complains that it requires
> XFree 4.2, and I'm running 3.x.  Bummer!

Yep.

> GTK 2.2  could have mentioned that XFree 4.2 is required right away...
> Or is there a way to build GTK 2.2 while using XFree 3.x?

There used to be up until this latest version.  However, I put the error
as low down as I could.  That is, on a clean system, if you type make
install in x11-toolkits/gtk20, it will recursively build dependencies
until it gets to Xft, where it will fail.  Doing it this way lets me get
all the dependent ports as well.

> Since upgrading XFree isn't that simple, this will probably have to
> wait until I see a chance to upgrade my OS.

Not sure if there are other issues at play here, put it may be as simple
as building x11/XFree86-4.  Eric did some work to make sure that kind of
thing went smoothly with 3.x already installed.  All apps should
continue to work just fine.  And, if you actually have XFree86-3.3.6
installed as a package, portupgrade can help you bring it up to 4.x.

Joe