xscreensaver port forced to old libxml

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Wed Apr 16 15:45:40 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 14:59, Rolf Grossmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while we're on the topic of the xscreensaver[-gnome] port, I was wondering
> why it's using the old libxml. Further investigation shows that it is
> explicitly patched (in patch-ab) to ignore gnome2 and the new libxml2.
> Does anybody know the reason for doing that? A quick hack to make it use
> gnome2 compiles and runs just fine (although it appears to have some
> minor problems with linking against libc and with some language catalogs).

It's built with GNOME 1 only as a lazy man's way out of having two
ports.  This will change when the GNOME 1 desktop is removed....soon.

> In general, I'm wondering, when a software package supports both gnome1 and
> gnome2, should we be supporting both versions or stick with gnome1 for the
> time being?

It depends.  Right now, we try to support both if the application has
two sustaining branches (e.g. gnumeric, AbiWord, etc.).  For ports that
simply switch from GNOME 1 to GNOME 2, so do we (e.g. dia, gaim, etc.).
Given that GNOME 2 is becoming much more mature, I think it's time we
ditch the GNOME 1 desktop.  My thought is to remove

gnomecore
sawfish
gnomeapplets
gnomemedia
gtop
libgtop
nautilus
gedit
xalf
bugbuddy
gnomegames
gnomeutils
gdm
eog
ggv

Plus libpanel and everything that requires it.

Joe