xscreensaver port forced to old libxml

Rolf Grossmann grossman at progtech.net
Wed Apr 16 12:00:10 PDT 2003

Hi,

while we're on the topic of the xscreensaver[-gnome] port, I was wondering
why it's using the old libxml. Further investigation shows that it is
explicitly patched (in patch-ab) to ignore gnome2 and the new libxml2.
Does anybody know the reason for doing that? A quick hack to make it use
gnome2 compiles and runs just fine (although it appears to have some
minor problems with linking against libc and with some language catalogs).

In general, I'm wondering, when a software package supports both gnome1 and
gnome2, should we be supporting both versions or stick with gnome1 for the
time being?

Rolf

PS: I'm mostly through with my install. I'd really like to thank Joe and
everyone else involved for all their work. This was makeing things so much
easier.
PPS: Expect some more requests from me later ;)