ports/50604: portupgrade -R of dia-0.90 fails after today's cvsup of ports tree

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Sun Apr 6 16:47:14 PDT 2003

Hello Joe,

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 00:20, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 19:18, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> > Hello Joe,

> > > Okay, remove sound/system again, and verify response time improves.  If
> > > it does, try running esd from the command line.  GNOME will usually run
> > > it as:
> > >
> > > esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnfd 7
> > >
> > > Does it take a long time to give you back the prompt?
> >
> > Did as you suggested.
> >
> > Running "startx" now results in improved login time
> >
> > Running the esd from cmd line produces:
> > $ esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnfd 7
> > esd: Esound sound daemon already running or stale UNIX socket
> > /tmp/.esd/socket
> > This socket already exists indicating esd is already running.
> > Exiting...
> > ~ $
> >
> > The prompt returns immediately.
>
> Okay, remove the /tmp/.esd directory, logout, kill all GNOME pids,
> verify the /tmp/.esd directory is really gone, then try it again.

Still bad news. Here's what I did:
rm'd /tmp/.esd*
Logged off Gnome
Killed pids
rm'd ~/.gnome/session
Verified no ".esd" or "esd" files exist in /tmp
Logged off system
Logged back onto system
Ran "startx"

Response time is good and short
No sound
Ran that cmd, and got:
 ~ $ esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnfd 7
esd: Esound sound daemon already running or stale UNIX socket
/tmp/.esd/socket
This socket already exists indicating esd is already running.
Exiting...
~ $

No difference.., is esd starting somewhere else?

What else can I check for you?

Regards,

Stacey

--