ports/50604: portupgrade -R of dia-0.90 fails after today's cvsup of ports tree

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 6 16:20:10 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 19:18, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> Hello Joe,
>
> On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 23:39, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 18:35, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> >
> > > Back to badness here. Here's what I've done:
> > >
> > > Logged off Gnome
> > > cp'd ~/.gnome/sound/oldsystem system
> > > Edited system to have what your suggested. Here is the result:
> > > ~/.gnome/sound $ ls
> > > total 2
> > > -rw-r--r--  1 stacey  stacey  63 Dec 30 04:19 oldsystem
> > > -rw-r--r--  1 stacey  stacey  64 Apr  6 23:23 system
> > > stacey at Demon ~/.gnome/sound $ cat oldsystem
> > >
> > > [settings]
> > > start_esd=true
> > > event_sounds=true
> > > restore_gmix=true
> > > ~/.gnome/sound $ cat system
> > >
> > > [settings]
> > > start_esd=true
> > > event_sounds=true
> > > restore_gmix=false
> > > ~/.gnome/sound $
> > >
> > > I then logged off the system
> > > Logged back onto system
> > > Ran "startx"
> > >
> > > Delay is back to 2 - 2.5 minutes
> > > Sill no sound when in X
> > >
> > > This isn't good.
> >
> > Okay, remove sound/system again, and verify response time improves.  If
> > it does, try running esd from the command line.  GNOME will usually run
> > it as:
> >
> > esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnfd 7
> >
> > Does it take a long time to give you back the prompt?
>
> Did as you suggested.
>
> Running "startx" now results in improved login time
>
> Running the esd from cmd line produces:
> $ esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnfd 7
> esd: Esound sound daemon already running or stale UNIX socket
> /tmp/.esd/socket
> This socket already exists indicating esd is already running.
> Exiting...
> ~ $
>
> The prompt returns immediately.

Okay, remove the /tmp/.esd directory, logout, kill all GNOME pids,
verify the /tmp/.esd directory is really gone, then try it again.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	marcus at FreeBSD.org