documentation of GEOM data structures needed

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Thu Nov 14 13:20:02 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 09:32:07 +0000
symbolics at gmx.com wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:55:36PM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> [...]
> > I noticed that in FreeBSD data structures are hardly documented.
> > When I was still programming, the first step during development was
> > the documentation of the data structures. I kept this documentation
> > in the header files.
>

> I agree, I would like more comprehensive documentation too.

I got meanwhile all data back. The MBR was overwritten with some other
boot loader. I set the pointer in the MBR to the BSD label and was able
to mount the disk. Irony is now that I still got the integrity check
failed error message but all partitions have been mountable and the
file system could be read. I did not run an fsck on the file systems.
As the files in question all have been plain ASCII files, it was very
easy to check if they got damaged.

Your hint where to find the documentation of the BSD label was the key.

Thanks!

Erich