documentation of GEOM data structures needed

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Nov 11 15:20:02 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Erich Dollansky wrote:

> I would need a documentation of the GEOM data structure. A disk got
> damages in a strange way during the process of backing up data. It was
> partitioned with gpart as all my disks using the MBR schema. When
> creating the backup, the system crashed. The disk was not usable
> anymore. I found out that the MBR was overwritten before the backup was
> started while the beginning of the first partition seems to be ok.

MBR does not have any specific GEOM structure.  It's just a standard
MBR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

See the end of the mdconfig(8) man page for an example of using it and
gnop(8) to skip over an arbitrary length of data at the start of a disk.

With that and file -s, you can attempt to find mountable filesystems on
the whole disk.  A script would be the fastest way.  The first one
should be relatively easy.  After that, guessing approximate locations
would speed it up a lot.