documentation of GEOM data structures needed

symbolics at gmx.com symbolics at gmx.com
Mon Nov 11 09:18:39 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 04:24:00PM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would need a documentation of the GEOM data structure. A disk got
> damages in a strange way during the process of backing up data. It was
> partitioned with gpart as all my disks using the MBR schema. When
> creating the backup, the system crashed. The disk was not usable
> anymore. I found out that the MBR was overwritten before the backup was
> started while the beginning of the first partition seems to be ok.
>
> I hope to be able to recover the data saving me one week of work.

Hi Erich,

As I understand things, you believe that your filesystems are okay and
you just want to recreate the MBR so you can try to fsck and mount them?
How did you set the disc MBR up in the first place? If you used the
automatic scheme in the installer and you know the size of the disc, you
could reconstruct things that way. What does `gpart show' look like at
the moment?

--sym