gvinum drivegroups and concat command

Ulf Lilleengen lulf at stud.ntnu.no
Mon Aug 14 07:32:11 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm doing work on gvinum these days, and I've implemented a possibility of
drivegroups. It is possible to add drives to group at creation, but it will also
be possible to add drives to groups afterwards. The advantage with drivegroups
are not very big right now, but I've started to work on the first command that
will take utilization of drivegroups.

The concat command creates a concatenated volume, and from old vinum, it uses
drives as parameter. With drivegroups one can now still specify drives, or
groups or you don't even have to specify anything but the size, as gvinum then
will use the default drivegroup and create a volume for you there.

This is how i think the concat command should be like:
        - if name not specified, use drivegroup-volnum (maybe somethingelse)
        - size must be specified, or maybe a "fill drives/group" argument?
        - if group specified, it tries to create subdisks on all drives in the
          drivegroup.
        - if drivegroup not specified, and neither drives; use
          defaultdrivegroup.
        - if drives specified, use them. overrides drivegroups.

The general usage will be:
concat [-f] [-n name] [-v] [-g group] [drives]

Further advantages with drivegroups can be the mirror and stripe commands, as
well as the possibility to move drivegroups between different machines and group
your drives into logical collections. There will be more on this later.

If anyone have any suggestions, I would like to hear it, as I'm starting on
implementing these commands now and think it's very important that it's being
done right. If I have overlooked anything, feel free to comment. Other
improvements in gvinum is mentioned in the lastest status report.

--
Mvh Ulf Lilleengen