Hardcoding gmirror provider

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 23 06:45:54 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 10:27:09AM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
+> Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at FreeBSD.org> writes:
+> > On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 09:29:38PM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
+> > > George Hartzell <hartzell at kestrel.alerce.com> writes:
+> > > > I just skimmed through your comment about hardcoding the provider name
+> > > > if ad0 and ad0s1 have the same length.
+> > > This wouldn't be a problem if gmirror, gstripe etc. placed metadata at
+> > > the start of the provider, like God intended, instead of at the end.
+> > You won't be able to boot from the mirror then.
+>
+> That's a special case, and it could have been solved differently (e.g.
+> by teaching the boot loader to recognize gmirror metadata).  It does
+> not justify the similar breakage in gstripe and graid3.

It was done for consistency, so I can centralize metadata handling in the
future.
I also don't think that teaching boot loader about gmirror is reasonable
solution...

The additional thing which can be stored in metadata in provider's size.
This should fix discussed problems (except 'c' partition and 'a' at
sector 0).