www/firefox-esr build dependencies

Jan Beich jbeich at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 10 21:20:40 UTC 2018

"14th.president at gmail.com" <14th.president at gmail.com> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I just got bit by having SECURE_DELETE turned off in
> databases/sqlite3, in that firefox failed the configure stage
> but only after a couple of hours of building other stuff had
> transpired.  I assume this applies equally to the other
> firefox ports, and probably seamonkey, as well.

SECURE_DELETE is documented by 20120726 in /usr/ports/UPDATING.
Properly fixing would require the ports framework to support
a way to specify dependencies with options, similar to flavors.

> I know that other ports have checks to make sure that
> certain flags are turned on in dependencies before
> trying to build, but I'm not sure how much of a headache
> that would be.

Those hacks tend to bitrot or grow out of sync over time e.g.,
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/ports/402343

There're not enough gecko@ peers to maintain existing hacks, so I'm not
enthused to add more for marginal benefit. After binary packages became
stable regular users shouldn't be using ports and power users should be
experienced enough to route around quirks.

If you feel strongly power up more and submit a patch. ;)