RAID - hardware vs. ZFS

Graham Allan gta at umn.edu
Tue May 12 16:08:06 UTC 2020

I have implemented ZFS on HPE SmartArray controllers, but not really out
of choice - it was the hardware available. I'd prefer just to use a JBOD
controller. You lose all the benefits of ZFS knowledge of hardware and
drive state, but of course there are useful benefits to ZFS outside of
that (volume management, snapshots etc) so it's not a total loss.

When I did create a ZFS pool on the hardware RAID, I just used a single
large hardware RAID volume (I didn't try to expose the individual drives
either as single-drive RAID-0 volumes, or drive pass-through). I found
the drive pass-through on Gen9 SmartArray controllers to be very flaky,
though the Gen10 ones look like they might be better.