RAID - hardware vs. ZFS

mike tancsa mike at sentex.net
Tue May 12 16:06:58 UTC 2020

On 5/12/2020 11:46 AM, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
> I have to purchase new servers soon.  I am planning on getting Proliant
> DL360 servers.  These come with hardware RAID.  I was wondering what
> opinions people had about hardware RAID vs. using ZFS for RAID.  Is one
> safer than the other?  What about performance?  What about hot swapping?
>
> All opinions welcome.

Not sure what the performance would be like in comparison, but the
features and flexibility of ZFS are amazing.  Snapshots, replication,
integrity checking are really useful features to have.  Install on both
and see if performance is there on zfs vs hardware raid. If they are
both good enough performance wise, go for zfs. The feature set is just
too useful to pass up.

If you go the zfs route, make sure your disk controller is set to JBOD.
Dont install zfs on top of raid anything.

    ---Mike