ZFS flash systems

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Mon Nov 12 15:19:58 UTC 2018

On 11/10/2018 18:07, joe mcguckin wrote:
> NVMe drives are pretty cheap and there’s al least one manufacturer that makes a JBOD that takes 24 or so NVMe drives.
> So, will ZFS on FreeBSD perform well if a made a largish ZFS filer  with all flash instead of spinning disks?
>
> Does ZFS have to have any special knowledge that the storage is flash based?

I am running a fairly-heavy transactional (Postgres) database backend on
FreeBSD 11-STABLE with ZFS on top of flash-based drives and have had no
problems.  In addition my "sandbox" machine has a similar configuration
but with a smaller number of units, also flash-based (although not NVMe;
they're SATA attached on a JBOD LSI controller) and that's been stable
as well.

--
Karl Denninger
karl at denninger.net <mailto:karl at denninger.net>