Suggestion for hardware for ZFS fileserver

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Mon Dec 24 00:21:26 UTC 2018

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 23:49:58 +0000
Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote:
[stuff snipped]
>There was an effort in 2012 to improve on that.
>https://sourceforge.net/projects/nfse/
>I can't find code for this.
>
>In GNATS this was as kern/136865, but I can't find it in bugzilla.
>
>It was not picked up by us, no idea why (maybe nobody bothered back
>then).
The technical problem was that it did not support the "administrative controls"
exports (the ones that define which directories in a file system are mountable
via the NFSv3 Mount protocol). As such, replacing mountd with it would have
been a major POLA violation. (Personally, I'd be happy to see these
"administrative control exports" go away, but others disagree.)

The author was not willing to make nfse compatible with mountd w.r.t. the above.

Then sometime later, the author posted that he didn't want anyone to use the
code and was removing it from open source distribution.

rick