Suggestion for hardware for ZFS fileserver

Alexander Leidinger Alexader at Leidinger.net
Sun Dec 23 10:30:59 UTC 2018

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 23:49:58 +0000
Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> Peter Eriksson wrote:
> [good stuff snipped]
> >This has caused some interesting problems…
> >
> >First thing we noticed was that booting would take forever… Mounting
> >the 20-100k >filesystems _and_ enabling them to be shared via NFS is
> >not done efficient at all (for >each filesystem it
> >re-reads /etc/zfs/exports (a couple of times) befor appending one
> >>line to the end. Repeat 20-100,000 times… Not to mention the big
> >>kernel lock for >NFS “hold all NFS activity while we flush and
> >>reinstalls all sharing information per >filesystem” being done by
> >>mountd…
> Yes, /etc/exports and mountd were implemented in the 1980s, when a
> dozen file systems would have been a large server. Scaling to 10,000
> or more file systems wasn't even conceivable back then.

There was an effort in 2012 to improve on that.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/nfse/
I can't find code for this.

In GNATS this was as kern/136865, but I can't find it in bugzilla.

It was not picked up by us, no idea why (maybe nobody bothered back
then).

Bye,
Alexander.

--