The future of ZFS in FreeBSD

Matthew Macy mmacy at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 20 19:58:56 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 9:33 AM Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> Matt,
>
> This is a fairly comprehensive plan. Kudos for putting it together.
>
> The big question here is do you have a complete list of FreeBSD-specific changes that will be lost in the cut-over? We've heard about TRIM support and maybe NFSv4, but are there others that can be identified?
>
> Once you have that list, it wouldn't be hard to throw the initial email with some tweaks from the replies into a FCP so everybody knows the plan, and we have it ratified in case people come along later and 'forget'.

The general intent is that we not lose anything. TRIM is the only
piece of code that really needs resolution upstream causing us to lose
it temporarily. Failure to upstream FreeBSD's TRIM support has been a
recurring source of bugs when integrating new features. As for NFSv4
I've forked the ACL bits in to the OS dependent code - I'll make a
note to make sure that nothing regresses there. This is yet another
example of why there will be a 3 month period for users to try the
port before we cut over.

-M