SMBv1 Deprecation

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Fri Jun 23 12:10:09 UTC 2017

Stefan Esser <se at freebsd.org> wrote:
[lots of stuff snipped]
> You may want to have a look at FuseSMB, which might be easier to port to
> FreeBSD than teaching smbfs newer SMB protocols.
Yes, if there is a fuse module, that shouldn't be too hard to get working.
If there is something missing in the FreeBSD fuse interface it needs, I might
be able to help with that, since I have done a few fuse patches (for the kernel
interface that uses the module, not the module itself).

> Windows servers (at least 2012 and 2016) support NFS upto version 4.1,
> and if you can configure the servers to provide NFS access to the
> relevant data, that might be the easiest route for you.
I've never tested the FreeBSD NFSv4.1 client against a Windows server
(to be honest, I didn't know they supported one  until now;-), but I might
be able to help if go this route and have problems with the mounts.

Good luck with it, rick