SMBv1 Deprecation

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 23 10:38:00 UTC 2017

Am 23.06.17 um 10:46 schrieb Gary Jennejohn:
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:03:31 +0800
> Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On 23/6/17 8:14 am, Matt B wrote:
>>> I totally understand. I try to support the FreeBSD Foundation with
>>> donations as often as I can as well as reporting bugs promptly as I am sure
>>> resources are spread thin. My skill set isn't really that of a programmer
>>> though. I am working right now at checking the Darwin/OS X code for
>>> mount_smbfs and other modules associated with smbfs in the hopes of
>>> possibly getting something viable for BSD, even if it has to be a port due
>>> to license issues. Progress is slow just due to lack of knowledge in the
>>> programming arena.
>>
>> That's how we all started out..  some personal itch that had to be scratched.
>> You do some work on it.
>>  From that you build up an expertise in that field, and then you start answering
>> questions when people ask about that area, and then you find you've
>> a commit bit and are spending serious time on it, and then a company offers you serious
>> money to fix something (*)  and before you know it...
>>
>> (*) seriously that happens.
>> Companies have itches too but instead of spare time, they have cash.
>>

> You might consider trying /usr/ports/net/samba46, which is at
> version 4.6.4 and appears to support SMB2 out of the box.

As you probably know, that is the SMB *server* side, and Samba supports
the even newer SMB3 - not what you were looking for ...

I doubt that there are many users of smbfs, which allows *client* access
to Windows servers.

You may want to have a look at FuseSMB, which might be easier to port to
FreeBSD than teaching smbfs newer SMB protocols.

Windows servers (at least 2012 and 2016) support NFS upto version 4.1,
and if you can configure the servers to provide NFS access to the
relevant data, that might be the easiest route for you.

Regards, STefan