ZFS performance bottlenecks: CPU or RAM or anything else?

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Wed May 18 06:43:36 UTC 2016

On 2016-May-17 16:35:49 -0500, "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net> wrote:
>More specifically, as I read it, different performance in a very
>specific metric; single-thread linear bulk writes.  That doesn't seem
>like it would benefit heavily from a lot of cores available, or from
>RAM bandwidth or size above a pretty low threshold.

Actually, whilst I presume the OP has compression disabled, ZFS can
very effectively use multiple cores to compress data - even if it's
only a single linear writer.

>Of course, it's not just changing the CPU and RAM; it's also the
>motherboard, and possibly the HBA (at least the bus the HBA is on, if
>it's a card being transplanted with the pool).  And the Core 2 would
>be back in the plain-old FSB era, so RAM access would be competing
>with the disk IO on the bus.

Without knowing much more about the configuration of each system, it's
impossible to identify where the bottleneck might be.

--
Peter Jeremy