ZFS performance bottlenecks: CPU or RAM or anything else?

Steven Hartland steven at multiplay.co.uk
Tue May 17 21:46:47 UTC 2016

Not to mention it's so easy to cripple performance with a bad bios setup
this could easily be a simple setup issue.

I had an issue the other day where a 4ghz Intel CPU couldn't process video
transcode in real time which turned out to be a power saving option in the
bios that was utterly destroying performance by running the CPU at 800Mhz
instead of 4Ghz. Everything else seemed fine with nothing was using more
then a few present of CPU. Disabling power saving fixed the issue. This
issue was not present on a much lower power / older box simply because it
didn't have the advanced power saving options.

I'm not saying this was the case in these tests but simply providing a
comcrete example that it's sometimes hard to get like for like comparisons
even for what should be simple tests.