Cannot replace broken hard drive with LSI HBA

InterNetX - Juergen Gotteswinter jg at internetx.com
Tue Sep 29 13:52:06 UTC 2015

>From my Experience using SATA Disks on SAS Controllers, no matter if
theres an Expander between or not or mixed, those Setups keep on beeing
flakey / unreliable. I might work under certain conditions, but its
nothing you can bet on.

Garret Damore (Illumos Project) describes the problem more detailed here

http://garrett.damore.org/2010/08/why-sas-sata-is-not-such-great-idea.html