Cannot replace broken hard drive with LSI HBA

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Tue Sep 29 13:51:10 UTC 2015

IMHO be careful with that LSI firmware.  I have, like many others, run
into trouble with anything that starts with a "2" as the first digit.

I have a quite-large system here that has an LSI adapter and an expander
behind that, then a gaggle of SATA drives.  Zero trouble over the space
of many months and very, very heavy load.  The only "gotcha" is that
I've been able to get it to boot off anything on the expander, so you
need to leave one HBA port open for boot drives; that appears to be a
limitation in the IT firmware on the LSI board as you can't designate
such a drive as a boot candidate for the BIOS.