Switching from MFI to MRSAS

Ryan Stone rysto32 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 21:32:04 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 12:59 PM, Tim Gustafson <tjg at ucsc.edu> wrote:

> The mrsas driver man page says that it reports the disks as "da0",
> "da1" and so on, and the man pages about TRIM support all say that it
> works with "ada" and "da" drives.  So, I was hoping that the change in
> driver technology would enable the TRIM command to work.
>
> I suppose I could update device.hints and loader.conf as describe,
> reboot, and if the system doesn't come back up, just boot off a thumb
> drive and re-edit those files back to their defaults...

The mrsas driver is interesting.  Your RAID volumes show up as da0, da1,
etc, but they really shouldn't.  I'm doubtful that TRIM will work here
because the drives are not truly directly attached, even though the mrsas
driver is misleading the kernel into thinking that they are.

You can always give a try, though.