Switching from MFI to MRSAS

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 17:06:04 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Tim Gustafson <tjg at ucsc.edu> wrote:

> > OK, haven't done this before, perhaps this works, but... you are
> replacing a
> > raid driver with another raid driver, so probably TRIM will not work
> either.
>
> The mrsas driver man page says that it reports the disks as "da0",
> "da1" and so on, and the man pages about TRIM support all say that it
> works with "ada" and "da" drives.  So, I was hoping that the change in
> driver technology would enable the TRIM command to work.
>
> I suppose I could update device.hints and loader.conf as describe,
> reboot, and if the system doesn't come back up, just boot off a thumb
> drive and re-edit those files back to their defaults...

​Or, reboot the system, and drop to the loader prompt.  Then manually type
in those loader.conf entries at the loader prompt.  And continue the boot
process.

If it fails, then just reboot, and everything will come up normally.

If it succeeds, then you can edit /boot/loader.conf to make the change
permanent.

You'll want to boot to single-user mode as well, as /etc/fstab will point
to the wrong devices (unless you are using some kind of generic labels for
the entries instead of the physical device node names).

In single-user mode, you can update /etc/fstab and /boot/loader.conf as
needed if the new driver works.​

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com