FreeBSD support being added to GlusterFS

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 27 22:35:03 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 02:27:35PM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2014, at 12:04 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > For you information here is my version:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/glusterfs.diff
> >
> > It is just missing the license bits
> >
> > if everyone here agrees I'll commit :)
>
> Seems reasonable.  Question from my own "questions to be asked about glusterfs" pile:  Paths.  I notice that glusterd requires quite a few path not in the standard hierarchy for /usr/local (or any value of ${prefix}) that will cause it to simply fall over upon first invocation.  To wit:
>
> /var/lib/glusterd (nothing in FreeBSD uses /var/lib at all - /var/db, /var/run and /var/tmp are more canonical locations, depending on what you [the service] are trying to do).
>
> In fact, ${prefix}/var seems to be generally avoided by most things in ports.  /usr/local/var/log is highly atypical, for example.
>
> This also creates problems for us in FreeNAS since our root filesystem is read-only by default, and we simply make parts of /var (the root /var) r/w to accommodate things wanting to write into /var/log, /var/tmp/, /var/run and so on.  I would hope that the port could also be configured to run as a system component, or at least obey a more predictable ${prefix} hierarchy so that we could map things suitably r/w into the location(s) that glusterfs needs to scribble on at runtime.
>
> I was going to write all of this up in a more exhaustive email but I got side-tracked by other projects. :)
>
> - Jordan

Here is a new version which uses /var/db, /var/log and /var/run
This version also works with pkg_install and handle the
/var/db/glusterd/groups/virt file as a config file so it will not overwrite user
one on reinstallation.

I haven't added the license as I do not understand the license from the COPYING
files I see GPLv2 and LGPLv3 but from the website I see GPLv3, can someone
enlighten me?

I'm still looking for a better maintainer then me :) I mean I can make sure the
port/package is clean, I can also help on the fuse part if needed, but I have no
use case so far on glusterfs beside highly supporting it on FreeBSD and being
excited by the features it provides :)

Maybe someone at FreeNAS it willing to take maintainership of this port in the
ports tree?

Jordan does this new port fits FreeNAS requirements?

regards,
Bapt