FreeBSD support being added to GlusterFS

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 27 21:59:29 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 02:27:35PM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2014, at 12:04 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > For you information here is my version:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/glusterfs.diff
> >
> > It is just missing the license bits
> >
> > if everyone here agrees I'll commit :)
>
> Seems reasonable.  Question from my own "questions to be asked about glusterfs" pile:  Paths.  I notice that glusterd requires quite a few path not in the standard hierarchy for /usr/local (or any value of ${prefix}) that will cause it to simply fall over upon first invocation.  To wit:
>
> /var/lib/glusterd (nothing in FreeBSD uses /var/lib at all - /var/db, /var/run and /var/tmp are more canonical locations, depending on what you [the service] are trying to do).
>
> In fact, ${prefix}/var seems to be generally avoided by most things in ports.  /usr/local/var/log is highly atypical, for example.
>
> This also creates problems for us in FreeNAS since our root filesystem is read-only by default, and we simply make parts of /var (the root /var) r/w to accommodate things wanting to write into /var/log, /var/tmp/, /var/run and so on.  I would hope that the port could also be configured to run as a system component, or at least obey a more predictable ${prefix} hierarchy so that we could map things suitably r/w into the location(s) that glusterfs needs to scribble on at runtime.
>
> I was going to write all of this up in a more exhaustive email but I got side-tracked by other projects. :)
>
> - Jordan

Yup I figured that out and was about to change the /var/lib into /var/db,
generally in ports we are trying to enforce everything under ${PREFIX} but /var,
that predates me and I have made anything in the direction of changing that, but
I try to enforce the "do not touch base but /var" for any ports. including do
not touch /etc, right now onlu shells and user additions do touch /etc

regards,
Bapt