zfs - moving filesystem from one zpool to another

Andreas Nilsson andrnils at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 13:51:51 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 3:43 PM, John <freebsd-lists at potato.growveg.org>wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> For other reasons I had to install pc-bsd 10 rather than the regular
> freebsd on my new desktop. Unfortunately it insisted on installing to
> the first device which is a ssd (110GB). It makes its own zpool called
> "tank" and everything gets installed there.
>
> Now, while it's great that some stuff is there on the ssd like / /boot
> and /root /var and /tmp, I'm rather less enamoured that /usr/ports /usr/src
> and /home are there too.
>
> With the hdds in the machine (ada1 ada2 and ada3) I made a raidz array
> that made 7.2TB usable space. This zpool is called "storage". I'd like
> to put the not-so-active filesystems on the zpool called "storage". A
> couple of issues though:
>
> 1. /usr/local is not it's own filesystem. Is it a case of just doing a
> recursive copy on the existing /usr/local into a newly created
> /storage/usr/local and setting the mountpoint as /usr/local (after
> deleting the old /usr/local) ?

Having usr/local as a separate fs works. I would not use cp to move the
files, as symlinks are not preserved.

> 2. /usr/ports IS it's own filesystem on tank:
> tank/usr/ports on /usr/ports (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
>
> Can I zfs export this from tank and then zfs import it into storage ? If
> so, do I need to set a mountpoint?

export/import are commands that work on zpool not zfs. You want send and
receive.
zfs snapshot tank/usr/ports at now
zfs send tank/usr/ports at now | zfs recv storage/ports #or whatever you want
the name to be. Parents dataset must exist.
zfs set mountpoint=/usr/ports storage/ports

Best regards
Andreas