RAM and zfs and multiple disks

Morgan Jones morgan at morganjones.org
Thu Oct 10 20:43:42 UTC 2013

I've FreeBSD with 8gb of ram and no swap for years.  I'm currently on 9.0 64-bit.

I have 2 zfs pools:
one is a pair of 16gb thumb drives for /
the other is 4x2tb + 2x500gb mirror for 10 or so mount points

It runs with zero problems.  In FreeBSD 8.x I had to set the arc max to keep from memory starving other processes but 9.0 has been fine.  32-bit was a disaster--I couldn't keep it from crashing.

I'm not running dedup.

-morgan