RAM and zfs and multiple disks

Berend de Boer berend at pobox.com
Thu Oct 10 20:21:23 UTC 2013

    John> Hello list, I'd like to have zfs on my freebsd
    John> desktop. However, this motherboard can take 8GB RAM, max.

    John> I'd like to get 2 x4Tb drives. Realistically, do I need
    John> another motherboard? The primary reason to have ZFS is to
    John> guard against bitrot.

By default ZFS takes most available memory, as it assumes it's an NFS
server. That can be easily tuned, see vfs.zfs.arc_max.

The main reason for a lot of memory is dedup. If you don't use it, I
would say you have plenty. Note you can enable dedup on selected
filesystems for ones where it makes sense.

--
All the best,

Berend de Boer