[zfs] BSD ZFS vs. illumos ZFS

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 18:07:21 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Tim Cook <tim at cook.ms> wrote:

> From a downside perspective I beleive FreeBSD still has no solid block
> target stack. I believe SpectraLogic gave some code to the effort but it's
> not yet fully baked?  There's also no ALUA support that I'm aware of - GEOM
> only supports active/passive pathing.
>
> From the NAS side of things, FreeBSD has no concept of an in-kernel
> licensed CIFS stack, it relies on SAMBA.  The one thing I would say on this
> front is it's likely to be less of a concern as SAMBA embraces SMB3.  I
> don't see any way that the in-kernel stack in illumos is getting smb3
> support unless there's work and money behind it I'm not aware of.
>
> I also don't believe FreeBSD has any support for nfsv4 or 4.1/pnfs.  It's
> admittedly been a while since I've played with running it as a server so
> some or all of the above may have been addressed.  I'll leave it to someone
> like Pawel to correct me where I'm wrong.

​FreeBSD has NFSv4 client and server support.  Has for awhile now.  I
believe it's experimental in 8.x and default in 9.x?

And Rick Maclem (hope I spelt that right) has NFSv4.1 client support
available for testing in 10.x?  At least, I vaguely remember a head's up
about it around a month or so ago.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com