[zfs] BSD ZFS vs. illumos ZFS

Tim Cook tim at cook.ms
Wed Oct 9 17:34:54 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Matthew Ahrens <mahrens at delphix.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at freebsd.org>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 06:36:02PM +0200, Radio młodych bandytów wrote:
>> >
>> > Openzfs has a nice feature comparison:
>> > http://open-zfs.org/wiki/Features
>>
>> It clearly wasn't done by a FreeBSD person:)
>>
>> The features available only in FreeBSD:
>> - TRIM support (actually also in ZoL, AFAIK).
>> - Ability to boot from any ZFS pool (other platforms are limited to one
>>   top-level vdev which can be either disk or a mirror (I hope that's
>>   correct)).
>> - Quick listing when using options '-o name -s name' - it is at least
>>   100 times faster than alternatives. Very handy when there is huge
>>   number of snapshots.
>> - ZFS-super-owner - allows regular users to perform file system
>>   operations as root. This is possible when the file system was mounted
>>   by the user, the user is owner of this file system (we force nosuid
>>   option then). Used in FreeBSD netperf cluster, so regular users can
>>   installworld (which set proper ownership of files) to their netbooted
>>   datasets from a build machine.
>>
>> I'm sure I'm missing some.
>>
>> PS. Yes, I know I should just put it onto wiki, but if anyone has some
>>     spare cycles I'd be grateful for doing it.
>>

> I added it to the Talk page (http://www.open-zfs.org/wiki/Talk:Features).
>  Would be great if someone from the FreeBSD community could take the time
> to verify, format and document these on the Features page.
>
> --matt
>

>From a downside perspective I beleive FreeBSD still has no solid block
target stack. I believe SpectraLogic gave some code to the effort but it's
not yet fully baked?  There's also no ALUA support that I'm aware of - GEOM
only supports active/passive pathing.

>From the NAS side of things, FreeBSD has no concept of an in-kernel
licensed CIFS stack, it relies on SAMBA.  The one thing I would say on this
front is it's likely to be less of a concern as SAMBA embraces SMB3.  I
don't see any way that the in-kernel stack in illumos is getting smb3
support unless there's work and money behind it I'm not aware of.

I also don't believe FreeBSD has any support for nfsv4 or 4.1/pnfs.  It's
admittedly been a while since I've played with running it as a server so
some or all of the above may have been addressed.  I'll leave it to someone
like Pawel to correct me where I'm wrong.

--Tim