Long delays during boot and zpool/zfs commands on 9.1-RELEASE (possibly because of unavailable pool?)

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Tue May 14 19:50:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 08:43:21PM +0200, Henner Heck wrote:
> "Setting hostid: 0x........"
> "Mounting local file systems:.".
> Both these outputs don't show up in dmesg ...

This is normal (and has been normal since as long as I can remember):
those messages are being output by the rc(8) subsystem and being echo'd
to /dev/console.

If you want to see these messages, use the -a flag with dmesg(8).

P.S. -- When starting a new topic/thread about something, please do not
reply to an existing thread and change the subject -- this is
insufficient, and is sometimes called "thread hijacking".  Some (many,
and often UNIX) mail clients use a header called In-Reply-To to
"cross-reference" mails to one another regardless of Subject.  Proof of
you doing this:

 171     05/12 00:21  Marc G. Fournier    (0.6K)      |->
 172 N   05/14 20:43  Henner Heck         (5.0K)      | `->Long delays during boot and zpool/zfs commands on 9.
 173 N   05/14 20:22  Steven Hartland     (3.6K)      |   `->

And your mail client had this in it:

> From: Henner Heck <Henner.Heck at web.de>
> To: freebsd-fs at freebsd.org
> Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 20:43:21 +0200
> Subject: Long delays during boot and zpool/zfs commands on 9.1-RELEASE (possibly because of unavailable pool?)

So in the future actually make a new mail (new thread).

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |