Deadlock in the NFS client

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 21 20:01:32 UTC 2013

On Monday, March 18, 2013 9:00:54 pm Rick Macklem wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:

> > > Just fyi, ignore my comment about the second version of the patch
> > > that
> > > disables the nfsiod threads from doing readdirplus running faster.
> > > It
> > > was just that when I tested the 2nd patch, the server's caches were
> > > primed. Oops.
> > >
> > > However, sofar the minimal testing I've done has been essentially
> > > performance neutral between the unpatch and patched versions.
> > >
> > > Hopefully John has a convenient way to do some performance testing,
> > > since I won't be able to do much until the end of April.
> >
> > Performance testing I don't really have available.
> All I've been doing are things like (assuming /mnt is an NFSv3 mount point):
> # cd /mnt
> # time ls -lR > /dev/null
> # time ls -R > /dev/null
> - for both a patched and unpatched kernel
> (Oh, and you need to keep the server's caches pretty consistent. For me
>  once I run the test once, the server caches end up primed and then
>  the times seem to be pretty consistent, but I am only using old laptops.)
>
> Maybe you could do something like the above? (I'll try some finds too.)
> (I don't really have any clever ideas for other tests.)

I've been doing find across trees on different servers (one mounted with
rdirplus and one without).  I've compared the current behavior (blocking
lock in rdirplus + readahead) to disabling readahead for dirs as well as
just using non-blocking locks in the nfsiod case in readdir+ processing.
I also ran my tests with various concurrent number of jobs (up to 8 since
this is an 8-core machine).  The three cases were all basically the same,
and the two possible fixes were no different, so I think you can fix this
however you want.

--
John Baldwin