Deadlock in the NFS client

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Tue Mar 19 01:00:56 UTC 2013

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Friday, March 15, 2013 10:03:39 pm Rick Macklem wrote:
> > John Baldwin wrote:

> > > OTOH, updating the attributes from readdir+ is only an
> > > optimization
> > > anyway, so
> > > just having it always do LK_NOWAIT is probably ok (and simple).
> > > Currently I'm
> > > trying to develop a test case to provoke this so I can test the
> > > fix,
> > > but no
> > > luck on that yet.
> > >
> > > --
> > > John Baldwin
> > Just fyi, ignore my comment about the second version of the patch
> > that
> > disables the nfsiod threads from doing readdirplus running faster.
> > It
> > was just that when I tested the 2nd patch, the server's caches were
> > primed. Oops.
> >
> > However, sofar the minimal testing I've done has been essentially
> > performance neutral between the unpatch and patched versions.
> >
> > Hopefully John has a convenient way to do some performance testing,
> > since I won't be able to do much until the end of April.
>
> Performance testing I don't really have available.
All I've been doing are things like (assuming /mnt is an NFSv3 mount point):
# cd /mnt
# time ls -lR > /dev/null
# time ls -R > /dev/null
- for both a patched and unpatched kernel
(Oh, and you need to keep the server's caches pretty consistent. For me
 once I run the test once, the server caches end up primed and then
 the times seem to be pretty consistent, but I am only using old laptops.)

Maybe you could do something like the above? (I'll try some finds too.)
(I don't really have any clever ideas for other tests.)

rick
ps: There is a readdir test in Connectathon test suite I'll run too.