ext2fs bug

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Sun Jun 23 09:52:22 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 11:43:13AM +0200, gabor at zahemszky.hu wrote:
> Hi!
>
> >What FreeBSD version are you using?
>
> Sorry for the missing information: it's 9.1-p4 Amd64
>
> >In the past 3-4 weeks there have been *tons* of ext2fs fixes in
> >stable/9, and I'm not exaggerating in the least.  You will not find
> >these fixes being backported to 9.1-RELEASE or earlier.
>
> If they will be in 9.2 or in 10, it will be good.
>
> >I strongly recommend you try a recent stable/9 (i.e. past few days)
> >with ext2fs.  You can try a stable/9 ("RELENG_9") ISO snapshot here:
> >
> >https://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD-snapshots/
>
> Can I run these ISO-s from a flash drive as a Live system? (It's an
> HP microserver, and I don't have CD/DVD-player in it).

No you cannot use the ISO images -- ISO images are for CD/DVD drives;
dd'ing them or "flashing" them to a USB memory stick/flash drive will
not work generally speaking.  (Note to readers: please do not bring
ISOLINUX into this discussion -- I beg you, please do not, not just for
the technical aspects but also because it's not necessary in this
situation).

However, you can download the relevant memstick.img files and dd those
to a USB memory stick/flash drive and boot from (just like standard
9.1-RELEASE memstick images).  Point: these are not ISOs, these are raw
images.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |